Dental Emergency in Phoenix, AZ
Do You Have a Dental Emergency?
Many patients may be unsure whether a dental concern requires an emergency dentist. We understand it may be difficult to know. However, if it’s a concern to you, it’s a concern to us. Pain is not the only way for a dental emergency to be present, so it’s important to discuss your particular issue with a dental professional.
Five Signs You May Need Emergency Dental Care
If the situation could lead to further dental or medical complications, it counts as a dental emergency. Specifically, there are five issues the most commonly require treatment from a same-day dentist. These are:
- Severe Pain – this is a sign of infection that may require antibiotics as well as pain relief medication.
- Accident – an injury to your mouth/jaw should be seen immediately.
- Lost tooth – assuming it was a permanent tooth, there’s a possibility the tooth could be saved if seen in time.
- Excessive bleeding - this may be due to gum disease, an accident or any number of other causes.
- Pus or Infection – known as a periodontal or periapical abscess, this type of infection could actually spread if ignored.
Why the ER Isn’t the Answer for Dental Emergencies
With the COVID-19 crisis, we join with the American Dental Association in urging people to avoid the local ER for dental treatment to preserve capacity for COVID-19 and emergency cases. Additionally, it’s important to note that many ERs are simply not equipped to treat certain emergency dental needs like a 24-hour dentist. For example, some issues the local ER or Urgent Care may not be able to help include:
- A tooth that needs to be pulled.
- Root canal or other emergency dental work.
- Lost or cracked filling.
- Denture repair.
- Re-cementing of crowns, bridges, or veneers.
- Broken tooth, chipped tooth, or lost tooth.
How We Can Help in a Dental Emergency
A dental emergency can happen at any time. So we have emergency dentists available seven days a week to help if you experience one. If you have a dental concern resulting from an infection, accident or another reason, please let us know so you can get the help and relief you need.